Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Under Review: Bulletproof Wallets

I've had a Wu fever lately, which is likely why this and last week's review were Wu-Tang Clan related.  To be honest, I had never cared for or listened much to the Clan until this past summer.  I had their Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) sitting in my iTunes for months, but for some reason, I didn't give it a chance.  When I was on my way back from Boston last month, I was in the mood to listen to something. . .different.  Luckily, I scrolled through and Wu-Tang Clan caught my eye.  I put on "Bring Da Ruckus", and then immediately played it again.  All I could think to myself was, "These guys are fucking crazy, but regardless, they're really, really good."  From that point on, Wu-Tang Clan became a staple of my library and they've become easily one of my favorite groups.

The Clan as a whole is incredible, but, as I mentioned in my post last week about GZA's Liquid Swords, there are clearly better MC's than others within the group.  As good as GZA and Raekwon may be, many regard Ghostface Killah as the best solo MC because of his consistency.  Ghostface, born Dennis Coles, has one of the most recognizable deliveries and voices that exist out in hip-hop today.  From his first appearance on "Bring Da Ruckus", his style is one of an up tempo, right in your face.  His charisma when on the mic is interesting in itself, even when you don't pay attention to his strength in lyrics.  Coles was signed to Razor Sharp records after the Clan's success on Enter the Wu-Tang in 1993, and delivered his first solo album, Ironman, in 1996.  Ironman went platinum, and Coles followed the acclaimed album with a possibly better one in Supreme Clientele in February of 2000.

Which brings me to this album, Ghostface's third solo offering, Bulletproof Wallets.  When I first started finding out more about Coles and his music, I was more focused on Ironman and Supreme Clientele.  I hadn't seen much material discussing Bulletproof, so I disregarded it for some time.  Eventually though, I wanted to check it out, hoping that it would be half as good as Supreme Clientele.  Bulletproof didn't perform well on the charts, despite getting decent critical reception.  Part of the reason for it's struggles could have been due to Epic Records failing to put on three of Killah's tracks: "The Sun", "The Watch", and "Good Times".  Or it may have been due to not being quite as well received as his first two solo albums.  But was Bulletproof a case of an album that was judged fairly?  Or an effort that just simply fell through the cracks because of it's early struggles?

We'll find out in my review of Bulletproof Wallets. . .


Bulletproof Wallets
Release Date: November 13th, 2001
Label: Epic/SME Records

1. Intro
Is there an unwritten law that every hip-hop artist has to have an intro?  Like most intros, listen to this the first time through, then never listen to it again.

2. Maxine ft. Raekwon
This is an interesting track for a couple of reasons.  For one, the beat by RZA has a more funk feel than a traditional Wu one.  I'm not sure how to feel about it, but I don't think it takes anything away from Ghostface and Rae.  Another reason this song is intriguing is the story Ghostface and Rae tell here.  It's basically about a woman who is almost killed by her supposed husband/boyfriend.  Later however, her kids end up saving her.  It's a good track, but nothing too special.

3. Flowers ft. Method Man, Raekwon, & Superb
Now here is the song that should have kicked off the album.  I love RZA's production on it, and this beat sounds just as good today as it did nine years ago.  Rae is average on this, so thankfully Meth makes an appearance.  He sounds fantastic on it, and he actually seems awake when rhyming.  Ghostface still has the best verse though, especially with his line "Especially when the shots ring off in slow motion/when yo' head hit the meter/You lost two leaders, at the same case speeder/Peter Slim Duch shook 'em down for his reefer/James chased the recent with a hatchet on Easter/Two murders in the 'hood, we call 'em double features".  Easily one of the highlights of the album.

4.  Never Be the Same Again ft. Raekwon & Carl Thomas
Intended to be a love song, and it works well.  I don't think Ghostface is really well suited for songs like this though, with his such up beat delivery.  RZA isn't on the board for this one, instead, those duties are given to Lilz and PLX.  They give a pretty good product, as I think it fits the song very well.  However, the chorus beat is a little corny, even though I think Thomas is a good addition to the track.  Pretty much just a forgettable track in general.

5. Teddy ft. Superb
Skit.

6. Theodore ft. Trife & Twiz
Mathematics produces a spectacular beat in my opinion on this.  It's one that I'd just want as an instrumental if I could find it.  Ghostface, and surprisingly Trife as well, kill their verses.  But then, there's the hook, which is awful.  It completely ruins what the song had going for it.  Listen to Ghostface's first verse, then on to the next one.

7. Ghost Showers ft. Madame Majestic
Starts off slowly, but it does pick up steam.  Madame Majestic's appearance works pretty well, and she does a nice job on the hook.  The beat, provided by Chris Liggio and Tally Galbreth, is also not a bad one.  It changes from the verses to the hook, where Ghostface raps over a more old school background, while Majestic sings over a piano loop.  This is a very catchy song, so chalk that up as a good thing.

8. Strawberry ft. Killa Sin, GZA, & RZA
I don't know why, but as soon as I heard the beat play in on this, I knew it was Ghostface song from the start.  Mathematic's production is once again, very good.  Ghostface slows down his delivery here and it's actually a nice change of pace.  Surprisingly, GZA and RZA are only there to provide the interlude, leaving the first verse for Killa Sin.  While I'd love to have heard GZA spit that verse, Killa Sin does a great job of his own.  This song is also pretty humorous, with Ghostface talking to a girl mostly about how she wanted his. . .well you know.  I mean, just look at the lines: "Dick is sensitive, you move, baby here it is /Oh lord, that's what you look to move, you dumb broad /Comin' for days, wettin' ya cage /My dick is like the sprinklers and maybe ya dush, I'm here to save the day".

9. Forest ft. Raekwon
And then he follows that with this shit.  There's bagpipes on the beat, and unlike when the Root's used them, they don't work here in my opinion.  Next please.

10. The Juks ft. Superb & Trife
The hook is weak, but otherwise, this is a very solid track.  I don't really know why Superb has so many appearances on this album though.  His second verse isn't that good, so fortunately we have Ghostface and Trife to pick up the slack.  Oh, and Alchemist's beat is also one of the better ones on the album.

11. Walking Through the Darkness ft. Tekitha
Another good one from the Killah.  RZA's beat is more guitar oriented, but it's faster paced, which suits Ghostface well of course.  Tekitha's appearance is also not bad when she sings the hook.  I had to laugh at the line "So what, I had a rough day?/That's right, and if y'all don't like it/then motherfuck, ya'll is Ghost in da house!" Something we should probably all think when life is shitty, right?

12. Jealousy
Skit.

13. The Hilton ft. Raekwon
This song is the sole reason I feel my money was well spent on this album.  Let me start with producer, Carlos "6 July" Broady's, beat.  It is, quite simply, one hell of a banger.  It fits perfectly with Ghostface and Rae, as well as just being a tight beat in general.  The fact that I could blast this shit in my speakers and be proud says something.  What's amazing is that it's not even the best part of the song!  Ghostface's verse is one of the best I've probably ever heard from the MC.  I mean, just look at his line: "Rae ran hysterically/Slipped on soap/Landed on his back, with his gat, now that's dope".  That is some funny shit.  Rae also sounds great on his verse; I'd say it's the best one he drops on the entire album.  One of my favorite Ghostface songs ever.

14. Ice
Interlude.

15. Love Session ft. Ruff Endz
A much slower song than "The Hilton", but I still like it.  Ghostface has more love songs on this album than I remember on his previous two, which is a little surprising.  However, I also believe Ghostface is a very diverse MC for his ability to go from talking about a shootout at a hotel, then talking to a love in the very next real track.

16. Street Chemisty ft. Prodigal Sunn & Trife
Damnit Ghost, why didn't you just end the album with "Love Session"?  A weak beat, and really overall track from Ghostface.  It doesn't ruin the album by any means, but it kind of left me with a bad taste in my mouth when I was finished listening through.

Closing Statement: OK, let me start by saying this is far from a perfect album.  Ghostface should never, in my opinion, have even considered releasing some of these tracks that appear here.  "Forest" and "Theodore" are really weak, and there are a number of just average songs too.  Ghost was upset at the way the album was handled by Epic, blaming them for not including the tracks "Good Times", "The Sun", and "The Watch" when this was released.  It's a shame that happened, because I feel like, although I haven't heard any of the three unreleased cuts, they had to be better than some of the stuff found on Bulletproof.  With that being said however, this is still a very, very good hip-hop album.  Maybe I just love listening to Ghost, but he is still largely consistent on this.  I really dug "Walking Through the Darkness" and "Strawberry".  "Flowers" was also another highlight, but the real reason to give this album a spin is just to hear "The Hilton".  I don't know if it's Ghost's best track he ever did, there are many of them trust me, but it's right up there for sure.  I also gained a new appreciation for Ghostface's creativity on this album, since he raps about a variety of things like love, sexual harassment, shootouts, and even "rough days".  Bulletproof, to me, is like when you go to get ice cream, and your favorite flavor, like strawberry cheesecake, is out.  Your second favorite, say cookie dough, is still there though, so you still come out in a good mood.  If I could listen to more albums today even on that level, I won't be complaining.

The Verdict: This is not an absolute, must-have for a casual hip-hop fan.  Really, I feel like most casual fans won't appreciate the work Ghost does on this, as it may not be poppy enough or achieve "classic" status like Supreme Clientele.  However, this is an essential for any Wu fan and anyone who loves hip-hop more than just the mainstream.  You will pleasantly surprised, just as I was, at how good a "cookie dough" album can be.  Buy this once you find that extra cash you left in your back jeans pocket that you accidentally forgot about this past weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I'm just glad that there's at least one other person out there that enjoys "The Hilton" as much as I do. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete