Monday, February 15, 2010

Lupe Fiasco returns


Chi-town's great MC is back, and he seems more hungry than ever.

Lupe Fiasco released his second single, "I'm Beaming", off his upcoming album "Lasers" on January 26th and it's starting to make noise. Here are my thoughts on Lupe's latest:

- First off, the Neptunes have just proven once again why they were named producers of the decade. The production for "I'm Beaming" is fresh and blends well with Lupe's message. It's typical Neptunes sound, spacey with a catchy beat, and sounds like something Kid CuDi would have on his album.

- Lupe said he was not happy with MTV after not being named on its annual "Hottest MCs" list last October. He clearly sounds like he has something to prove on the single. His delivery isn't as fast-paced as some of his older sounds, but he sounds very confident. The lyrics clearly show that, just look at these particular lines:
- Do you remember me, the guy from verse one?
Failure’s my last name, Never’s my first one

- I’m out in left field, I’m speaking mentally
But that’s a better places than where the benches be

- The world’s fast lane is what I’m drivin’ on
What am I driving at? I’m tryna drive it home
I’m in the driver’s seat, but you can ride along

- Now if they lookin’ for me, tell ‘em I’ve gone
Out in the bright lights, right where I belong

- Lupe has always been great with his lyrics and "I'm Beaming" is not short of more great poetry from the talented MC. In one particular line, Lupe describes just how he's different from other rappers in the game right now:

- You see I hood a lot, and yeah I nerd some
Hood’s where the heart is, nerd’s where the words from
Don’t represent either, because I merged them

People have looked at Lupe differently from the start because he doesn't represent the stereotypical MC today. He made a song about skateboarding, that's enough said. But just because he may not be as hardened from the streets as many other rappers are, Lupe is as or more talented than them because he dares to try lyrics and themes that would hurt the street credibility of other MCs such as Nas or 50 Cent.

My only criticism of "I'm Beaming" is that it's another single that may not be made for radio. "Shining Down" was also a great single from Lupe, but it never got enough airplay, and Fiasco decided to drop it off "Lasers" because of that fact alone. "I'm Beaming" could pick up some club play however, so it's unfair to rule out that it won't be successful at all yet. Still, singles like "I'm Beaming" will only build more hype in the hip-hop community for "Lasers". It is certainly one of the most anticipated hip-hop albums of 2010.

*"Lasers" has not set a release date at this point, but Lupe has confirmed the album is finished after he submitted it to his label, Atlantic Records, a month ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment